If you find evidence of mould growth in your home, it typically suggests that the moisture levels are high or that there has been some water damage in the past.
There are more than 100 000 different types of mould that exist today. And while not all of them are dangerous, there are some that can do serious harm to human beings. Penicillium, Alternaria, Aspergillus and Cladosporium are the most common types of mould.
The types of mould that can have a negative effect on your health are mostly the allergenic moulds. This type of mould is extremely common and contain allergens that trigger or even cause allergic reactions and other symptoms in people.
Mould thrives in dark and damp places, so if you happen to have mould growth in your home, your health might become compromised.
Common symptoms of mould illnesses
Below are some signs that mould in your home has taken a toll on your health:
- Frequent headaches
- Light sensitivity or blurred vision
- Respiratory issues like sinusitis, asthma and coughing
- Brain fog or problems with concentration
- Muscle aches and cramps
- Joint or nerve pain
- Nausea and/or diarrhoea
- Issues with weight loss
- Metallic taste
- Night sweats
- Excessive thirst
Seeing mould in places around your home, other than shower walls or areas where water accumulates, could mean there’s a leak nearby.
How to get rid of damp
First, you need to determine where the water is coming from. Start by inspecting toilets, water faucets, water valves, pipes, and various household appliances. Once you’ve found the leak, you need to fix it, after which you need to damp proof the area to prevent it from happening again.
Or you could do it the easy way and just call the professionals. H2No damp proofing specialists in Johannesburg are affordable and reliable and they are ready to help you get rid of damp.